By: Laine Hammer & Cyrus Sepahbodi
What is Stress?
It’s an unfortunate fact that we’ve all experienced stress before. The most common cause of stress is work, but this physiological response can come from fear and uncertainty in many other aspects of our lives: relationships, the state of the world, or the everyday pressure we put on ourselves. Stress is a feeling of emotional or physical tension that usually occurs when we face moments of change or situations in which we feel threatened. It can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or scared.
The Effects of Stress on the Body
Have you ever taken a hike and a bee zipped by and for moment your entire body tensed up? Stress is the physical response to either an external situation or internal worries. When we become stressed several things happen physiologically: the body releases hormones that make us more alert, our muscles tense, and our pulses increase.
Stress Management Techniques & Tips for Relaxation
When we’re feeling stressed or anxious, it can be difficult to take a step back in the moment and find ways to calm ourselves down. When I’m feeling nervous about something, that usually manifests in headaches, stomach issues, and trouble sleeping. I used to rely on over-the-counter medications when I felt a bad headache coming on, but recently, I’ve been rubbing our 3:1 Releaf Balm on my forehead and temples and it works like a dream! The soothing scent of essential oils combined with CBD make a powerhouse team that really calms me down. While headaches are a common occurrence for me, trouble sleeping is right there with it. (This is what being a Cancer is like!) There have been many sleepless nights spent thinking about work or worrying about my interpersonal relationships.
I’ve had this fear since I was a kid; when I was little, I used to take sleep aids because I was so scared that I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep. When the thoughts in my head won’t quiet down, I toss and turn and think to myself, “I wonder what time it is. I’m going to feel awful tomorrow. I wish I could sleep as well as my little sister in the next room – she can fall asleep anywhere!” The pondering only makes matters worse and I end up laying there and maybe falling asleep in little bursts until morning. I wake up groggy and cradle my coffee all day. I’m sure many people can relate to this kind of a night. Fortunately for me and my sleep issues (and for those of you who have trouble sleeping too), Papa & Barkley recently launched Releaf Gummies! They are 5mg of bliss (aka THC) in a vegan, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and zero-calorie bite. They’re perfect for those times when you’ve had A DAY. You know the ones – when work was crazier than expected or something is going on in your personal life and you just need some help in the sleep department. I usually take one Releaf Gummy about an hour or two before bed and let it work its plant-based magic! I feel myself relax, drift off to sleep, and wake up feeling well-rested and ready to take on the day.
As someone who tries to do yoga every day, I’ve also become a fan of mindfulness and meditation. Sitting silently with your eyes closed for 10 minutes might sound easy but turning off your brain is possibly one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. They call it a practice for a reason! While meditation is a great way to ease stress, there are myriad ways to make time for yourself! -Laine
7 Stress Management Tips
- Exercise regularly: the natural endorphins released by your body during and after exercise are powerful stress reducers.
- Practice techniques that will enhance your relaxation: meditation, yoga, or tai-chi are great physical activities that pair well with mindfulness.
- Eating healthy and well-balanced meals will tend to make you feel better, especially if you choose certain foods high in Omega-3s, antioxidants, and proteins that are good for brain function such as Brazil nuts, fish, eggs, pumpkin seeds, and dark chocolate, which can help reduce stress.
- Time management is not only great for keeping your busy schedule in check, learning to manage your time more effectively will help you regulate your days and help keep stress at bay. When in doubt: organize, organize, organize!
- Make time for hobbies, interests, and relaxation. This cannot be stressed (pardon the pun) enough! Doing activities you love provides a boost of energy and fun and allows you to focus on yourself and your wellbeing.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from daily or stressful events. Sleep is one of the most important things you can do to provide for yourself, so don’t skimp on the mattress or making bedtime a priority.
- Seek out support and try to regulate your work/life balance. Spend time with family and friends when you can; it makes a world of difference for cultivating balanced mental health.
Stress Management with CBD & THC
It can be tough handling everyday stressors whilst trying to keep your head above water. Just like taking your vitamins, CBD can become part of your wellness routine to help relieve stress, not to mention physical discomfort. Many people find CBD & THC help them relax (or even put them in a sillier mood), which can take the edge off during stressful situations and gets your mind off the thing you’re worrying about. Because stress typically manifests in the body, CBD is a great option because it works with the Endocannabinoid System to help maintain a state of balance. When you supplement your natural endocannabinoids with CBD and THC it begins to process on the precursors for stress, discomfort, and natural inflammation. To make dosing easy, we recommend adding CBD Releaf Capsules to your pill box and 1ml, a full dropper of CBD Releaf Drops to your morning coffee. If you are in California and looking to add some THC for relief from discomfort and stress, try THC-Rich Releaf Capsules and THC-Rich Releaf Tinctures. We recommend adding these to your regimen because CBD & THC work cumulatively. Once your body (aka ECS!) gets used to the cannabinoids, you will begin to feel the calming effects of the plant. New to cannabis? Learn about how THC and CBD work in the body!
Whole Plant Full Spectrum Wellness
The idea that you can turn to natural remedies to calm yourself down is amazing! We’ve come so far in our industry and are proud that Papa & Barkley’s cannabis wellness products can help you feel better every day. We believe that cannabis has the power to improve people’s lives. All our products are whole plant and provide the full spectrum of cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients that make the cannabis plant so special. Stress may be unavoidable in our daily lives but cultivating a healthy mental and physical routine can make all the difference for our mental wellbeing.
Ready for Releaf?
Resources & Citations: