By: Cyrus Sepahbodi
There is nothing better than acing your first serve except acing a game during a match point. If you’ve played tennis, then you know the feeling. Serving in tennis is an electric experience. But the elation of the game is coupled with other discomforting experiences, like inflammation and pain in the tendons of your elbow. Most players are familiar with lateral epicondylitis, better known as tennis elbow, but not many are aware that CBD can really help with acute pains after playing tennis. This article will talk about how CBD can improve your tennis game by reducing exercise induced inflammation and soothing tired and painful muscles.
What Causes Tennis Elbow?
Tennis elbow is caused by repetitive movements of the forearm and wrist while playing the game. These movements tend to overwork and strain the tendons of the outer elbow and cause sensations of soreness and acute pain over time. When playing tennis hitting forehands and backhands require some wrist movement and puts stress on the forearms. This stress is caused when the muscles of the forearm contract as you hit the ball. Tight grip on the racket as well as poor technique can cause even more stress on the tendons that connect the forearm muscles to the tendons of the elbow. Finally, because tennis requires repetitive strokes per game tennis elbow begins to develop.
But CBD can reduce exercise induced inflammation and the acute pain of tennis elbow.
How CBD Works in the Body to Help Tennis Elbow
CBD is one of the primary cannabinoids found in hemp that act on the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) within our bodies. The ECS has two main receptors, CB1 and CB2, and both regulate different systems of the body. Through these receptors, the ECS assists in regulating functions such as appetite, digestion, immune function, inflammation, mood, sleep, reproduction, memory and pain. By stimulating the ECS and binding to its receptors, CBD can reduce pain sensations and decrease inflammation.
CBD is a unique and all-natural way of reducing acute pain and normal inflammation in the body. When applied topically on the skin it targets the specific area of pain, which makes it perfect for tennis elbow.
5 Benefits of CBD for Tennis Elbow
- Non-intoxicating: unlike its THC counterpart, CBD is non-intoxicating and will not make you feel ‘high’.
- Target pain and inflammation: Taking a CBD topical like Papa & Barkley’s CBD balm can help target the inflamed tendons and painful muscles of the forearm and elbow commonly associated with tennis elbow.
- Natural stress relief: CBD is a natural stress reliever and can help with concentration. CBD can help you regulate your stress in crucial moments on the court and after when you want to start your recovery regiment.
- Promote healthy sleep: CBD can help aid in healthy sleep, which will allow your body to recover naturally instead of with the use of sleeping pills.
- Full spectrum cannabinoids: Papa & Barkley CBD is full spectrum, which means you get the full spectrum of cannabinoids to help target elbow pain while providing you with relief from tennis elbow pain and inflammation.
Which CBD Product is Right for Me?
Using a CBD topical such as Papa & Barkley’s CBD balm, you can get relief from pain while going to the root of the problem; tendon inflammation brought on by tennis swings. Using CBD balm is easy and effective for pain management. When applied, the balm will penetrate the skin and interact with our endocannabinoid receptors to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. Results can be felt within minutes, and relief can last anywhere from two to four hours. Most importantly, the cannabinoids do not reach the bloodstream, so pain relief is localized where applied, with no intoxication.
Another way to receive the benefits of CBD is by ingesting in the form of a tincture, like Papa & Barkley’s CBD Hemp Drops. By taking a tincture, tennis players can promote whole body wellness and receive it’s anti-inflammatory properties by dropping a dose under the tongue. When taking a tincture, CBD is metabolized in the stomach like a food or beverage. CBD enters the bloodstream directly and immediately travel to the brain, where they bind to cannabinoid receptor cells. Effects are usually felt within 15 to 45 minutes and last two to three hours.
By taking CBD to help you recover, you can focus on enjoying the thrill of catching that backhand at full sprint the next time you are on the court.