Cannabis Wellness Starts with Clean Ingredients[email protected]
By: Laine Hammer
People put their trust in us because we are completely transparent about the entire journey of our products from farm to shelf. We believe that cannabis wellness starts with the best input products and ingredients. Our support of local farmers, clean ingredients, chemical-free processes, and attention to detail are what make our products what they are today. Our clean ethos started with our first product: Releaf balm. Made from cannabis, coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E, an essential oil blend of eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint, and lavender, and natural terpenes are all it takes to make our beloved, award-winning balm. We search far and wide to ensure every ingredient in our products is the best, and go above and beyond both state and industry regulations to give you the clean products you deserve. To further demonstrate our Standard of Clean and how we’ve become cannabis industry innovators, here’s a little story about our beeswax.
What Is Coumaphos and Why You Should Care
Let’s talk about coumaphos – an agricultural chemical compound and category 1 pesticide that kills insects and mites – which affects the purity of the products. Not-so-fun fact: 80% of the products in the bee industry contain coumaphos. Coumaphos is a common pesticide used to control mites and insects in honey bee colonies. While it helps save the bee population, coumaphos is devastating to the cannabis industry and the environment as a whole. It takes seven years for normal beeswax to work through a hive, so organic farms that might have used coumaphos in the past but have stopped will still have the pesticide in their beeswax and honey. Initially, we tested our balms and found they were returning 0.04-0.06 parts per million for coumaphos. While that was well below the state standard for coumaphos (it’s 1 part per million or below for edible bee products), we didn’t like the idea of any pesticides being in our products, and there was no way we were going to change our formula. After this coumaphos issue, we decided to double-down on our commitment to clean and commitment to high-quality – no pesticides, heavy metals, or microbials.
Find Papa & Barkley
For those of you in California, check out our store locator to find your nearest dispensary.
The Journey for Clean Ingredients
To find the cleanest beeswax out there, we cut out the middleman (buying beeswax online) and instead, went straight to the beekeepers on our obsessive journey to find Coumaphos-free beeswax. We visited California and Oregon to find bee farms that separate their beehives from any potential coumaphos contamination. What we found was that the capping wax that bees use to seal the honeycombs have significantly less coumaphos because it’s made each year and removed from the hive, which is exactly what we needed. Thus began our relationship with them – an important part of Papa & Barkley’s mission to support smaller, local growers and smaller farmers.
“Most people would change their formulation to decrease the amount of beeswax and increase some other type of wax. But we said no, we want to stay true to the original formula with beeswax. We went through a four and a half month process to get the right beeswax and finally, we did.”
Papa & Barkley COO
Our Essential Oils & Supporting Ingredients
Our other ingredients play just as important a role as our clean, high-quality cannabis. Our other ingredients play just as important a role as our clean, high-quality cannabis. Our procurement team works hard to obtain the most effective raw materials available. We work with vendors to find steam-distilled essential oils whose input products were grown with organic practices.
- BEESWAX: The cleanest and most organic beeswax of any topical product on the market. Our beeswax aids in natural healing and cell development without clogging pores, and is an essential ingredient in our balms .
- VITAMIN E: Featured in our Releaf Body Oil, Releaf Balm, and Releaf Repair Cream Vitamin E serves as a therapeutic ingredient. It helps neutralize free radicals, which damage cells and might contribute to cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- EUCALYPTUS: Found in our Releaf Repair Cream, Eucalyptus is an immune-boosting essential oil that helps purify the skin. It is also great for use in aromatherapy – working to alleviate exhaustion and mental sluggishness.
- TEA TREE OIL: With its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, Tea Tree oil can calm both mind and body. Not only does it help reduce redness, but it also provides comfort from minor muscular aches.
- LAVENDER: One of the more popular essential oils, Lavender is perfect for soothing skin conditions and lends support to your everyday life by reducing stress, improving mood, promoting more restful sleep.
- PEPPERMINT: A natural antiseptic, Peppermint oil can not only help cleanse your skin, but can also alleviate skin conditions, normal inflammation, swelling, and minor discomfort.
- Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) OIL: MCT oil is known for its antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. We utilize MCT oil as a clean and natural base during our whole plant infusion process.
- COCONUT OIL: A natural moisturizer, Coconut oil is a main ingredient in our Releaf Balm. High in nourishing fatty acids, it’s not only soothing for you skin, but contains many antibacterial and antifungal properties.
The Cleanest Products For You
While we’ve gone through great lengths to ensure our beeswax is Coumaphos-free, the raw nature of capping wax (removing it from the hive), can sometimes cause plant-matter and other debris to get inside the wax. To make the most of a challenging situation and keep our products as clean as possible, we created our own filtering process – a 12-hour process – to refine the raw capping wax down to its purest form, leaving us with beautiful, fragrant golden beeswax. Not only is our beeswax clean, but we also source the cleanest raw materials, too. If you’re new to cannabis wellness, we recommend starting with:
- Releaf Balm: Our best-selling product, available with 1:3 CBD:THC and Hemp CBD.
- Releaf Tinctures: Papa & Barkley’s tincture feature a full spectrum of cannabinoids, MCT oil, and full terpene profile.
- Microdose Tincture: Our Microdose tinctures make it easy to dip your toe into cannabis.
- Living Tincture: Our cleanest and most raw product available
Whether it’s our essential oils or natural ingredients for our flavored tinctures, we work with brokers to get exactly what we need – the cleanest, most effective ingredients out there. While our commitment to clean may be more labor-intensive, the result is a more effective product. Can you imagine our original Releaf balm without our high-quality beeswax and essential oils? We sure couldn’t.
Ready for Cannabis Wellness?
And if you’re outside the Golden State, Papa & Barkley has a CBD line available nationwide!