By: Cyrus Sepahbodi
Throughout high school and college I loved to play tennis. I had a local park near my house that had overhead lights so that you could stay on the court well into the evening. After school, I would walk to the courts of Kittridge Park and play for hours. After several hours and numerous matches, my knees, wrists, back, and feet would begin to ache from the exertion. If you are like me, and love to play tennis then you have probably had a similar experience. While tennis is a great sport for amateurs and pros alike to play, it can come with some injuries that are common to all who play. Injuries like ankle sprains, painful knees, shoulder and back pain, and of course the most common injury— tennis elbow.
Many people turn to traditional painkillers like Tylenol or Ibuprofen to fight pain, but cannabis has become a popular natural alternative. Both THC and CBD, the two primary cannabinoids of cannabis, have strong healing potential and can mitigate exercise induced pain and inflammation.
How THC & CBD Work in the Body
Both CBD and THC act on the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) within our bodies. When using a cannabis topical, cannabinoids interact with the two primary receptors (CB1 & CB2) in the ECS. By stimulating the ECS, CBD and THC promote homeostasis, reduce acute pain sensations, and decrease inflammation. Tennis players who are dealing with injuries can benefit from CBD, because of its strong anti-inflammatory properties. THC also has amazing pain fighting properties because it serves as a strong strongest analgesic.
Ready for Releaf?
Check out our store locator for the nearest dispensary to you that sells Papa & Barkley products!
Benefits of CBD for Tennis Injuries
- Non-intoxicating: unlike THC, CBD is non-intoxicating and will not make you feel ‘high’.
- Target pain and inflammation: Taking a cannabis topical like Papa & Barkley’s Releaf balm, Releaf Soak, or Releaf Body Oil can help target the inflammation and painful muscles.
- Natural stress relief: CBD is a natural stress reliever and can help with concentration. It can help you regulate stress.
- Promote healthy sleep: CBD can helps aid in healthy sleep, which allows your body to recover naturally instead of with the use of other sleep aids.
- Full spectrum cannabinoids: Papa & Barkley CBD is full spectrum, which means you get the full spectrum of cannabinoids to help target elbow pain while providing you with relief from tennis elbow pain and inflammation.
Benefits of THC for Tennis Injuries
- Acute pain relief: THC is a natural analgesic and can mitigate sensations of pain throughout the body.
- Stress relief: THC acts on the same receptors and CBD, promotes calm in the body, and reduces stress naturally.
- Helps regulate appetite: THC has the ability to help regulate appetite and reduces nausea.
- Promote healthier sleep: along with reducing stress THC calms the body and helps aid in more natural, healthy sleep.
- Full spectrum cannabinoids: Papa & Barkley Releaf line is full spectrum, which means you get the full spectrum of cannabinoids to help target elbow pain while providing you with relief from tennis elbow pain and inflammation.
Which Cannabis Products Are Right For Me?
When dealing with common tennis injuries it is best to start with cannabis topicals. The benefit of using a topical is that they provide relief by letting cannabinoids penetrate the skin and interact with our endocannabinoid receptors to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. Results can be felt within minutes, and relief can last anywhere from two to four hours. Most importantly, the cannabinoids do not reach the bloodstream, so pain relief is localized where applied, with no intoxication.
For Ankle Sprains
Ankle sprains are a common issue for tennis players. The perfect product to use for ankle sprains is Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Balm. Apply liberally to the ankle several times per day and find relief from pain and inflammation.
For Jumper’s Knee
Jumper’s knee can cause aches and pains in a tennis players knee. I would recommend using a topical like Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Soak after your match to maximize your recovery. Drop it into a batch and soak for 30 minutes for a soothing and inflammation reducing recovery session. Pro tip: if you don’t have access to a tub, use the Releaf Soak as a body scrub and then hop in the shower, it works great both ways.
For Shoulder Pain
Rotator cuff injuries are a common occurrence for tennis players. Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Patches are a great way to help reduce inflammation and pain in your shoulders. Apply them to your shoulder for whole body relief all day.
For Back or Spinal Pain
Because tennis requires a lot of physical exertion and impact on the spine, the back muscles of tennis players can become sore or painful. Papa & Barkley’s Body Oil is a perfect remedy to help soothe sore back muscles and reduce natural inflammation.
For Tennis Elbow
If you saw my earlier post about how CBD can treat tennis elbow then you already know the amazing benefits of using Papa & Barkley CBD balm for relief. If you haven’t, tennis elbow develops over time due to the repetitive nature of tennis swings. I recommend using Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Balm as a means to reduce inflammation and get relief from pain on and off the court.
Which CBD Product is Right for Me?
Using a CBD topical such as Papa & Barkley’s CBD balm, you can get relief from pain while going to the root of the problem; tendon inflammation brought on by tennis swings. Using CBD balm is easy and effective for pain management. When applied, the balm will penetrate the skin and interact with our endocannabinoid receptors to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. Results can be felt within minutes, and relief can last anywhere from two to four hours. Most importantly, the cannabinoids do not reach the bloodstream, so pain relief is localized where applied, with no intoxication.
Another way to receive the benefits of CBD is by ingesting in the form of a tincture, like Papa & Barkley’s CBD Hemp Drops. By taking a tincture, tennis players can promote whole body wellness and receive it’s anti-inflammatory properties by dropping a dose under the tongue. When taking a tincture, CBD is metabolized in the stomach like a food or beverage. CBD enters the bloodstream directly and immediately travel to the brain, where they bind to cannabinoid receptor cells. Effects are usually felt within 15 to 45 minutes and last two to three hours.
By taking CBD to help you recover, you can focus on enjoying the thrill of catching that backhand at full sprint the next time you are on the court.
CBD is a Serve Away
For those not in California Papa & Barkley offers CBD derived from Hemp using the same all natural whole plant methods available nationwide.
Here is a quick guide to treating the most common tennis injuries with THC & CBD products:
Resources & Citations: